Welcome to the latest News announcement (Antony’s note as the webmaster). We tried to wrap up the announcement re Covid and the latest newsletter, but it didn’t really seem great in hindsight. So here it is! Separate and ready to go.
The Heron has now been sold. The price was reduced to $1000 as we discovered de-lamination of the gelcoat which reduced its value. It has gone to a retired guy who has joined Hampton SC and hopes to sail it with his grandkids after having the gelcoat professionally repaired by Martin Sly.
Sailing school is underway. Rob and Herman have six participants on Saturday morning, and Paula, John and Jarrod have six participants on Sunday mornings. In addition, Paula, John and Jarrod are holding two half day “Introduction to Sailing” sessions for beginners during March.
We have had enquiries from three experienced sailors about joining the club and sailing the club boats for a few months with a view to buying their own boats. John and Jarrod have arranged to take them sailing to assess their suitability for use of a club boat. To increase the chances of them joining us, make them welcome.
Sailing instructors: As usual, please encourage sailing school graduates to participate in our Saturday afternoon sailing for three months after they graduate, at no cost. (The additional payment for participating in races which was sometimes charged in previous years is not being applied.) As there may be twelve participants and only six places in Pacers, we should guarantee each participant a place on Saturday afternoon for the first three weeks after they graduate. After that, if demand exceeds the places available on Saturday afternoon, I propose that we offer them sailing on Saturday mornings. We will assess the demand towards the end of each week. The safety boat would have to be on the water, but it could be crewed by members who are not Instructors. The Instructors will deserve a rest.
The new Pacer sail has been delivered. It is complete with battens and tell-tails but the battens and tell-tails have to be fitted. Last week we found that we already had a spare mainsail and jib in good condition although lacking battens. So now we have two good sails, unfortunately both with the same sail number. I suggest that we use the best sails, keep one old sail as a spare and throw away the one I taped up, transferring its battens to the one that is lacking battens.
John R: Unfortunately, it is unlikely that there will be a Pacer available for you for a few months commencing 27 March. Prior to that, from 6 March to 20 March, there is a high probability that there will be one available but it cannot be guaranteed. During this period there may be six sailing school graduates sailing on Saturday afternoon, but two of them will probably sail Sabres, leaving a Pacer available for you.
Wendy, Tony and Sid: Commencing 6 March the new graduates and new members will be given priority for use of the Sabres, so please make use of the few weeks between now and then to sail. There may be a Sabre available in later weeks, but it cannot be guaranteed. I hope you have enjoyed sailing the club boats and will now buy a boat.
Australian Sailing February Edition of Club News: you can find the latest Australian sailing news here. As always, well worth a read.
See you at the lake,
Antony (your webmaster) on behalf of the Secretary.